JEDCO seeks Business Retention Specialist to join the team
The Jefferson Parish Economic Development Commission (JEDCO) is an independent, yet complimentary arm of Jefferson Parish government with the main objective of attracting, growing, and creating new business in our area. JEDCO’s mission is to proactively influence the economy through the retention and creation of quality jobs, entrepreneurship, and investment in Jefferson Parish.
The Business Retention Specialist position supports JEDCO’s Economic Development Services department by encouraging the retention of existing businesses in Jefferson Parish. Applicant will be responsible for dedicated outreach efforts to companies, achieving intensive annual meeting quotas set by the JEDCO Board of Commissioners. The ideal candidate possesses the knowledge, skills, and sincere interest in the Economic Development industry. Prospective applicants will have the chance to work alongside passionate and talented individuals, working to advance the overall economic vitality of Jefferson Parish and ultimately the Greater New Orleans region
Primary Duties & Responsibilities
- Primarily tasked with implementing JEDCO’s award-winning business retention and expansion program through outreach and assistance to new and existing Jefferson Parish businesses, ranging from start-ups and sole-proprietors to mid/large-sized established companies.
- Meeting outreach goals are accomplished through various means including, but not limited to cold-call techniques, direct mail collateral pieces, and networking at various business events.
- Applicant expected to become well versed on many topics, including various state and local business and workforce development programs, specific industry needs and trends, as well as keeping up-to-date with changes to existing programs and researching new development opportunities
- Apply critical thinking skills to identify and coordinate business development opportunities that retain and create jobs
- Conduct business and economic research in response to varied business inquiries and to support JEDCO’s business retention and expansion program
- Implement positive approaches to conflict resolution and management of various issues that could hinder doing business/overall business climate
- Research and retain extensive knowledge of available properties within the parish for business retention clients
Professional Attributes and Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite required; Salesforce proficiency beneficial
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong organizational and analytical skills
- Ability to manage complex projects and multiple assignments under tight deadlines
- Strong interpersonal skills, maintaining a high degree of professionalism to develop relationships with business owners and executives, community leaders, commercial real estate community, and strategic industry partners
- Positive attitude, collaborative spirit, and strong work ethic
- Strong ability and desire to work in both teams and independently to further JEDCO’s mission
- Minimum of 3-5 years’ experience in planning, public policy, market research, real estate development, business, sales, economic development or related fields preferred
Salary commensurate with credentials. Forward resume and cover letter to JEDCO, Attn: Human Resources, 700 Churchill Parkway, Avondale, LA 70094 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes will be accepted through April 20, 2018. EEO.